Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Baby Steps

Last week on Wednesday I learned to walk again. I have seen little kids take their first steps before and it felt a lot like that. I had to reteach myself the proper way to walk. Surprisingly it took a lot of concentration to focus on how my right leg was moving and then to move my left leg the same way. I can relate to the determination that children have as they struggle to walk.
Who goes swimming in the middle of December?? Well, when the water is between 80-90 degrees and it's doctors orders...I do what I'm told. I'm getting more use out of my swimsuit right now than I have the past 2 summers!
At physical therapy they have a little indoor pool with three lanes that are different depths. For now I've been in the middle lane at 5 feet deep just walking: 15 minutes walking forward, 5 minutes walking backward, and then some squats to get my knee to bend more. It's interesting to say the least. It's kind of relaxing if I'm in there by myself but it takes some concentration. (Disclaimer: this is not the actual pool I use...it's not this nice!)

1 comment:

Alex said...

Congrats on walking again!!! Hope you enjoy your pool PT, its way nicer than all the other painful stuff they make you do, huh? Glad to hear you're recovering well! Keep up the great work! :)