Well, for those who didn't know, I have been playing intramural co-ed basketball with a bunch of people from work. It has been really fun and we're not too bad of a team either. Well, the first game we lost a player to a knee injury. Brian and I went to the ER with her that night to make sure she was ok. The second game I couldn't make it to but I heard some minor injury happened to another girl. Well, our third game was on Wednesday night and very well could be my last one ever that I play in. The game only had a couple minutes left before it was over and I was on a fast break down the court with no one in front of me and one girl behind me on my side. As I went up for the lay-up the girl tried to come around in front of me and she knocked into me a little so when I was landing I ended up twisting my knee and landing wrong. As soon as it happened I hit the ground hard and started yelling in pain and crying. I have never felt that kind of pain before. It still makes me sick to think about it. It all happened so fast that I don't know how I landed or if I heard anything pop, etc. All the questions people normally ask to figure out what happened. After being on the ground for a few minutes I finally started breathing normal and not yelling but still in pain. Two guys from my team helped/carried me over to a chair on the sideline. They gave me an ice pack right away to put on it and the game went on. My team finished the last couple of minutes and then came back over to stand around and watch me.
While my team was finishing up, I was being asked a bunch of questions that I could barely answer through the tears. Two reports, EMT wrapping my knee, and 3 ice packs later I was wheeled out of the gym in a wheelchair. Now I need to explain that my husband Brian wasn't there during the game. He had a meeting that night so he wasn't able to go with me. As soon as it happened, my teammate Ashley (the first injured teammate) found my phone and called Brian. He told me later that he had heard me yelling in the background so he left the house in Spanish Fork right away to get to me. He got there in record time because he was so worried about me. He also called my little brother, Kyle, in Helaman Halls to come over right away and he was there pretty quick too. He said he ran over.
I was wheeled out to Brian's car and Kyle followed us in my car to the Emergency Room at the hospital. I kept telling Brian that I didn't want to go but to no avail. We went... It didn't take long to be seen which I was grateful for. I got x-rays taken of my knee and then the doctor finished his evaluation. He concluded that no bones were broken according to the x-rays but he said there was possible internal damage to a ligament or tenden. They gave me a referal to an Orthopedic surgeon to get it checked out and get an MRI. I called the next day and scheduled an apointment for Monday. The hospital sent me away with a knee immobilizer and crutches. It has been interesting trying to figure out just how to work the crutches. I've never used them before or even played with them so it's been an interesting experience. Stairs are the worst and for those who have looked at the pictures of our new house...there are stairs!
I got home from the ER about 12:15 am, took some medicine, ate a snack and didn't get to bed until after 1 am. I didn't sleep too well because I would keep waking up if I moved wrong. Brian told me I woke him up once or twice when I called out in pain. I warned him though before I fell asleep that I probably would. Thursday I stayed home from work to relax. Everything I do takes a lot more effort than normal so I get tired (and winded) really easily.
I've been able to work today with my leg propped up on a step stool and a pillow. The hardest part for me is to sit still. My leg falls asleep frequently while being propped up so it makes me want to get up and move around. But then I start walking with my crutches and then I'm tired again and need to sit down. So it's been a long day but I've made it! I will keep you posted on what I find out on Monday at my appointment. I'm hoping that whatever it is it doesn't require surgery! Also, I'll put up pictures later of me in the x-ray room and of my way swollen knee!
P.S.- Sorry it's such a long post but I had to get all the details in.
5 comments:
Oh Laura, that doesn't sound good at all. I'm sorry to hear.. Hope there is nothing major and a quick recovery.. Good luck and feel better soon.
So sorry to hear....hope you feel better soon.
Dang old knee immobilizers and stairs! They don't work well together. I hope you feel better!
Oh my gosh Laura! I can't believe that happened. Basketball games can get a little crazy, sounds like your team is jinxed! Well I hope the MRI was more informative. Good luck with the crutches, I only used them once for a class to feel what it is like to be disabled (I couldn't even last a day!).
OH NO!!! Thats horrible, I'm so sorry you got hurt! How are you holding up? I bet Brian is taking great care of you though, huh? (((Hugs)))
Post a Comment