Friday, November 21, 2008

Back to the Real World...sort of

So, on Thursday I had an appointment with the surgeon to follow up after surgery. Things look good but I'm still on crutches for 3 more weeks. Apparently repairing the meniscus makes for no weight baring for 4-6 weeks. I'm just glad I was only given 4 weeks. It could be worse. They said I would be okay to go back to work whenever I felt up to it with restrictions: no heavy lifting, twisting, standing for long periods of time, etc. Good thing I work at a computer. I went in to work after my appointment to give it a try. I forgot to bring pillows to prop up my leg so I had to improvise with a blanket. It was pretty uncomfortable so I ended up needing to take my painkiller. About an hour later I was pretty much worthless. Luckily my husband was about done with his meeting and re-registering my car so he could pick me up and take me home. I made it just over 4 hours that day. Not too bad...one day at a time. Oh ya, when I got home I slept for 4 hours. I'm not used to staying awake all day yet.

Today I went to work after physical therapy but didn't get there until 11:30. I was more comfortable with my pillows today but there is always that discomfort there. And from the picture in the previous post I'm sure you can get somewhat of an idea of that. I was trying not to have to take my medicine so I could focus on work but I broke down around 3:30 to ease the pain. Luckily I had some things to keep me busy or I would not have made it to 5 today. So I made it 5.5 hours today...getting better. I'm not sure if I will be able to handle a full day just yet so I'm really glad we have the Thanksgiving break next week. Only 3 days of work!! We'll see how it goes. It just takes so much longer to do normal things like get ready in the morning, etc. so hopefully I'll be able to get into a better routine soon and return to "normal" life on crutches.

2 comments:

EvaMarieva said...

You are a trooper! I hope the discomfort lessens over the next three weeks. Surgery is never fun-especially when you need to work during the recovery process.

Elder and Sister Dunn said...

Sorry to hear about your surgery. I hope these next few weeks go by fast.