So here's the update on our first 2 prenatal classes. The first night wasn't anything too exciting just going over basics and terms for labor and delivery. Then last night we watched two movies and took a tour of the hospital. The movies scared me, I won't lie. Brian had to remind me to breathe a few times and I'm sure I was making some disgusted faces. I guess he's just practicing for when he really will need to help me with breathing!
One of the movies was "The Miracle of Life" done by the BYU Nursing department. It was filmed at the Provo hospital and 3 of the doctors at the clinic I go to were in the movie. That was cool to see. All I can say is that I am so glad I don't have to see the actual birth. No mirrors for me thank you! Sorry for those with weak stomachs but let's be honest...who hasn't seen that video sometime in their life. I just kept telling Brian that I can't do that. I think it's a little late so I guess I'll just have to keep breathing and just take it one step at a time.
The hospital tour was helpful. It helped me understand better what to expect and what happens where. We also got to see the nursery and just before we left a brand new baby, less than an hour old, came into the nursery with the dad to get cleaned up. Things are starting to get more real for me. I still sometimes have to tell myself our lives are going to change so much once this little guy comes but we are both so excited.
Yesterday we also went in for our routine doctors appointment. It was the last time they will fall every 4 weeks. Now I've increased to every 2 weeks. The doctor we saw yesterday was the one who looked at my ultrasound pictures and he had written a note on my chart that he hadn't been able to see a good view of the heart. So at our next check up we're getting another ultrasound done just to get a better look at his heart now that he's bigger. (I originally had my ultrasound done when I was at 18 1/2 weeks because that's what the doctor ordered but apparently that was a little too early and he wasn't quite as big as they would like him to be to get a good look at everything in the ultrasound.) So Brian will get a good birthday present and get to see his son on his birthday! Right after the ultrasound we will have our appointment with the doctor to go over the pictures and make sure everything is still good. At the appointment yesterday we heard the baby's heart beat again and he said it's a good, strong heart beat. And my belly is measuring right on. So even though I didn't like to hear that we have to go get another ultrasound, I'm ok with it because I'm glad they're being so thorough and cautious with the development of our baby. So we get to see our baby again and get more pictures of him in 2 weeks!! It will be interesting to see him now that's he's a lot bigger.
Sorry for another long post without any pictures but I figured family at least would like to keep updated on how we're doing. We're heading for a fun weekend. My dad is in town so we'll be spending time with family and my little sis is throwing my baby shower on Saturday! I can't wait to see all my friends and family that are coming!
6 comments:
You'll have to post ultrasound pictures! It's getting here soon! I loved the prenatal classes... it makes you feel more prepared... but yeah, that video just freaks you out. Good luck with everything!
Don't apologize for the long post, I love hearing all that is going on! I totally agree with you on not having a mirror during the birth! If it makes you feel any better, labor was totally easy for me (with the epidural). I was pleasantly surprised!
I didn't know Dad was coming! Say Hi from us! About the birth videos- Brad saw one at BYU (Human Development class I think?) and he had to leave the room. He might have even thrown up, but I don't remember. :) So I'm sure you didn't do worse than that. Good luck with everything. Stay cool!
P.S. You wonder now what you've gotten yourself into, but wait til #2 or #3 comes along and you're like "wait a minute, why did I do this AGAIN." :) Love you!
Hey, we'll send a present back with Maria after her visit. So sad I'm missing your shower. Have fun (I hope you do the candy bar baby diaper game ;) Love you.
How cool you have to get another ultrasound. I did that with my little boy and am doing it again with this one. I think it's great you get to see them and see how everything is growing. Put up one of those pregnancy tickers so we know how far along you are.
I love the updates! Keep them coming. Sorry I missed the baby shower! Mail at our house always seems to disappear and then reappear a week after things have already passed. I would love to stop by with a little present for you guys soon. Don't worry about labor and delivery. Mine was way more complicated than I had hoped but even still I forgot all about it the second Bradley was born and it was by far the most amazing experience in my life and my biggest accomplishment. Love to you and that little one!
Post a Comment